The TFI Board is extremely proud of the amount of work that continues at Tryon Farm Institute. In difficult times, connections with nature are an amazing salve to the upheaval around us. Thank you for all those who continue to volunteer time and energy into making TFI a special place for all to enjoy.
Highlights this year:
- New Property Acquisition & Rehabilitation – Acquired 11 new acres that TFI will manage as open nature space. 30 volunteers participated in a clean up day in May to help transform the new property. New trail linkages have been created and are awaiting your boot prints.
- Indiana Wildlife Federation Partnership – New partnership with IWF to create educational signage to highlight some of the features on the property (coming in July!). Also, we are planning a Monarch tagging event with IWF for this fall.
- Shrub Planting Day – Added 15 native shrubs around the property with protective fencing to help them thrive.
- Pollinator Expansion – We doubled the size of the pollinator garden at the front of the property adding over 50 new native plants.
- Fire Pit Wood Shed Construction – Dry wood makes good fire and the new shed was created using all recycled material.
- Sedge Meadow Management – The Sedge Meadow continues to be managed to remove invasive plants (Reed Canary Grass/Cattails) and aggressive Willows so that the understory plants/seed bank can thrive.
- Trail Blazing – Trail improvements in the East Woods included adding wood chips and stumps to navigate some of the wet parts. A wood stump bridge was created in the Sedge Meadow Island. A new loop was created in the new property. Get hiking!!
- Owl Box Placement – Added two new boxes facing West Meadow
- Mushroom Inoculation Workshop – TFI partnered with Justin Sule to create a mushroom forest near the Beech Walk. While harvesting will not occur for a year, we have created an amazing feature on the property that will produce edible mushrooms for years to come.
If you would like to help support our future endeavors or renew your membership, please visit our website, http://www.TFInstitute.org/giving to make a tax deductible contribution. Or, you can also send a check to: Tryon Farm Institute, 88 Tryon Farm Lane, Michigan City, IN 46360
We look forward to seeing you around the Farm!